Department of Forensic Sciences
Forensic is the application of science widely used in the judgments of legal cases or disputes. The role of the forensic scientist is to provide the justice system with unbiased and scientifically precise information. Criminal forensics has recently been made popular by TV shows such as CBS’s CSI. These scientists specialize in examining physical evidence to link a crime scene, suspect, and/or victim. The field of forensic science has received extensive exposure in recent years and is now regarded as a highly respected discipline among scientists and criminality.
Due to immense importance of forensic sciences, the Department of Forensic Sciences at University of Swat was established in 2014 to facilitate teaching of the basic ideas and concepts of forensic sciences to upcoming forensic scientists and students or persons already associated with the legal field. It is the first department for the subject of forensics in the province of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and the first in the country to offer BS in Forensic Science.
To be the leader in forensic science innovation: education, research, training and services
The mission of the Department is:
- To equip graduates with necessary techniques and problem-solving skills
- To educate students with the knowledge and skills needed to prepare forensic and witness testimony reports
- To provide independent forensic services to community and to supplement the capacity of law enforcement agencies where needed
- To collaborate with law enforcement agencies and forensic science institutes
BS in Forensic Science (4-year)
- Sc. or equivalent (as per Equivalence Certificate issued by IBCC) with at least 45% marks.
Dr. Muhammad Israr
PhD in Molecular Biology (DNA Forensics)